Rev. Derek Starr Redwine
Covenant Pastor for Discipleship
Office: (804) 358-2383 ext. 129
Questions about Outreach and Adult Faith Formation can be directed to Derek.
- Bible Verse: Jeremiah 29:7
- Movies: A Quiet Place, 12 Years A Slave, Edge of Tomorrow, anything in the Marvel Universe, 12 Angry Men
- Books: Silence, The Sum of Us, Strength to Love, Geography of Time
- TV Shows: The Good Place, Schitt's Creek, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, West Wing, Voltron
- Podcasts: The Dan Patrick Show, The Rest Is History, The Ezra Klein Show
- Music: A little bit of everything, except techno
- For fun I like to: Hang out with my kids doing what they love, work in the yard, listen to baseball, and dine out with family and friends.
I am originally from Houston, Texas, where I spent my childhood and, after graduating from Miami University in Ohio with a degree in Geography (apologies to my parents!), I taught 4th Grade and Kindergarten as part of Teach for America. I graduated from Princeton Theological Seminary in 2000 and have served congregations in New York City, Denver, Akron, Cleveland, and most recently at Grace Covenant Presbyterian on Monument Avenue. I am married to the Rev. Amy Starr Redwine, who I met in Seminary and with whom I have three amazing kids - Sarah, Quinn, and George. I love a good conversation over coffee, beer, or while hiking along the James River, so give me a call to set something up! I am passionate about figuring out how we can make the teachings of Jesus relevant in our everyday lives, and I am excited to work alongside the members and staff of FPC to strengthen the ministries of faith formation and mission. Together, we can make a lasting impact in the lives of all who call RVA their home.