Compassion Ministry Teams respond to the congregation and seek to show Christ's love, grace, mercy, and compassion to those in need.
1. Membership Teams
Are you excited about the ministries of First Presbyterian Church? Would you like to invite others to be a part of this family of faith? A Membership Team may be for you.
- Team 1 Welcome Center: Greets visitors, provides information and a gift and follows up with guests to invite them to Discover First. Welcome Center Volunteers serve on Sunday mornings on a rotating cycle.
- Team 2 Discover First: Quarterly evening of fellowship, sharing, learning and dinner (Sunday 4pm-7pm) for potential new members, who want to learn more about FPC. An opportunity to join the church is offered at the end of the evening and they are received by the Session. Volunteers serve quarterly as Dinner Host and Program Hosts
- Team 3 FPC 101: Quarterly breakfasts for New Members on the morning they are introduced to the congregation. The FPC 101 team also matches the New Member with a Shepherd, a church member who will walk along side to support and help integrate for the first year of membership.
2. senior Member connections Teams
Our church family is blessed with members who have been a part of this congregation for 50 years or more. We have a very active congregation and some of our members, who for years poured their hearts and souls into the church, are now unable to attend as regularly or otherwise need assistance. Our Senior Member Connections Teams are here to help:
- Team 1 Bus Ministry: Bus Ambassadors support bus service to Westminster Canterbury and Cedarfield to transport members to Sunday services. This year we have averaged 10- 12 riders a week and two-four weekly ambassadors.
- Team 2 Care and Concern: Supports the ministerial staff in caring for church members who are homebound or unable to attend on a regular basis. Team members provide a monthly visit, call or card and help our members stay connected to their church.
- Team 3 Outreach Member Connection: On Holy Communion Sundays this team offers Communion to members interested but unable to attend church.
3. congregational support Team
One of the greatest gifts the church offers is support from birth to death for members and their families. We are with new families at their birth, and we offer prayers, love, care, and support for families at the time of a death. Our Bereavement Team pays attention to the details of funeral or memorial service planning, and offers support and care for those grieving the death of a loved one.
If you have a heart and desire to walk with people in their times of grief, considering being a part of our Bereavement Team.
4. Healthcare Team
The church's mission is to care for the Body, Mind and Spirit. We want to walk with our members as they nurture and grow their spiritual life, and also be with them to care for their physical and mental needs.
Our Healthcare Team pays attention when members experience any illness, from cancer to depression to dementia. We seek to create a culture of care where the congregation knows that their needs can be addressed and supported by their church.
Do you have a passion for creating support for families and individuals in the midst of life crisis? This team may be for you.
5. Compassion RESPONSE Teams
These teams compliment support and augment the other Compassion Ministries.
- Team 1 Prayer Team: This team meets weekly on Wednesdays at 1:00 pm in the “Old Session Room.” All are invited. A simple liturgy is followed and a prayer list is provided. All church members and those with special concerns are prayed for as well as our city, our country, etc.
- Team 2 Communications & Connection: Show love, care and concern for the members by; sending sympathy notes to the family of members who died; sending notes on first anniversary of the death of a loved one; conducting birthday calls
- Team 3 Resource Connection: Inventory congregational offerings and connect with Compassion Ministries, including the following: coordinate and oversee our Care Closet which includes Youth Care Bears, PW Prayers Shawls, blankets and lap robes, Causey Davis Jar Openers, etc. This year our Resource Connection team has added the preparation of Casseroles which are in the church kitchen and available to be delivered to church members as needed.