Richmonders Involved to Strengthen our Communities (RISC) is an interracial, interfaith, nonpartisan organization uniting 22 diverse congregations to address root causes of injustice in the RVA region. FPC is proud to be a member congregation.
Accomplishments and ongoing RISC activities include the following:
- 4,000 Chesterfield County Schools staff are being trained, before the first day of school, to recognize child trauma and its effects in their students.
- Richmond Public Schools Superintendent Kamras agreed to include a pilot project using the proven reading program, Reading Mastery.
- Partners in the Henrico business and faith community stood with RISC in a commitment to keep pressing for introducing a Reading Mastery program in Henrico County schools.
- The CEO of the Better Housing Coalition provided “before and after” photos of housing transformed by the Affordable Housing Trust, funded due to the pressure to keep the funding at the forefront of discussion with Richmond City Council from 2010-2015.
- The healthcare jobs pipeline has launched with a focus on recruiting recent graduates of Richmond Public Schools and placing them on a healthcare career track.